Our present sheriff is Michael W. Taylor. He took office in 2008. The Sheriff's Office employs 136 people:
- 7 DCJS Certified Administrative Staff
- 2 Internal Affairs Investigators
- 1 Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission Accreditation Manager
- 8 DCJS Certified Special Investigation / Fugitive Warrant Investigators
- 13 DCJS Certified Criminal Investigators
- 4 DCJS Certified Crime Scene Specialists
- 27 DCJS Certified Patrol Officers
- 31 DCJS Certified Corrections Officers
- 3 DCJS Certified Civil Process Officers
- 5 DCJS Certified Court Security Officers
- 10 DCJS Certified School Resource Officers
- 5 DCJS Certified K-9 Officers
- 7 FAA (Federal Aviation Administration) Certified Unmanned Aerial Systems Operators
- 5 Emergency Telecommunications Personnel
- 12 Special Weapons and Tactics (SWAT) Team Members
- 12 Hostage Negotiation Team Members
- 9 Jail Emergency Tactical Team (JETT) Members
- 14 Civilian Administrative Support Staff
- 1 Crime Stoppers Manager
- 1 Crime Prevention Specialist
- 1 Crime Analyst
- 2 Project Lifesaver Technicians
- 2 Licensed Polygraph Operators
- 1 PREA (Prison Rape Elimination Act) Coordinator
- 1 Certified Mental Health Counselor
- 1 Information Technology Coordinator
- Joint Terrorism Taskforce
- South Central Regional Drug Taskforce
- DEA (Drug Enforcement Administration) Investigative Unit Taskforce
- US Marshal Service Fugitive Apprehension Taskforce
Letter From the Sheriff
The purpose of this site is to introduce you to the staff, operations, and resources of our agency. Our number 1 priority is to meet your safety needs in the most efficient and professional way possible. Residents and visitors to Pittsylvania County enjoy a wonderful combination of people, natural beauty, and economic growth.
As the largest county in the commonwealth, we strive each day to meet the emerging needs of our citizenry. We encourage our citizens to become active in their communities and assist us by becoming the eyes and ears for law enforcement.
The Pittsylvania County Sheriff's Office is dedicated to providing and promoting a safe, friendly atmosphere for you to live, work, and play. The welfare of all our citizens is of great concern, and we stand ready to respond at any hour to a call for assistance.
Please feel free to contact me any time you might need a question answered or help solving a problem. I look forward to meeting your needs with qualified, professional, responsive law enforcement.
- Michael W. Taylor
Pittsylvania County is the largest county in the State of Virginia, which is located in the southern Piedmont area. We consist of approximately 982 square miles. We surround the City of Danville, and border Halifax, Henry, Bedford, and Campbell counties in Virginia, and Caswell and Rockingham counties in North Carolina.
The county was formed in 1767 from Halifax county and assumed its present boundaries in 1777. It was named for William Pitt, Earl of Chatham, a British Statesman.