Vehicle License Fees
In 2007, the Pittsylvania County Board of Supervisors adopted a license tax fee. This fee is assessed to all actively registered vehicles as of January 1st of the tax year. No adjustments are made to the license fee assessment due to the vehicle being sold after January 1st. The fee is assessed based on DMV information regarding the garage jurisdiction. Town residents are not liable for the county license fee. Each town collects their license or decal fee.
The assessment is made on the 1st day of each calendar year, and is due and payable on June 10 annually. Those fees are as follows:
|Type of Vehicle||Fee|
|Passenger Vehicle / Pickup Truck||$40.75|
Exemptions & Reductions
- One vehicle owned or leased, and used personally in the performance of duties by each active member of the volunteer fire departments and volunteer rescue squads who lives in the county outside of the incorporated towns is exempt after proper certification.
- Complete the application for exemption of license fee (PDF).
- Chief or Captain Certified Member List - application for exemption of license fee member list (PDF)
- Passenger vehicles and pickup trucks owned and used personally by a member of the National Guard shall be partially exempt from the payment of the license fee levied and imposed by 50% of said fee.
- Passenger vehicle and pickup trucks owned and used personally by a Disabled Veteran or Prisoner of War and currently running state license plates to identify them as such, are exempt from license fee with proper documentation.