Government

Government:

  • Pittsylvania County is governed by the 7-member Board of Supervisors, each of whom are elected for four-year terms and represent a certain district of the county. This board passes ordinances, hires the county administrator, and passes the annual budget.
  • The County Administrator, who is appointed by the Board of Supervisors, oversees day-to-day operations and all county departments. 
  • In addition to the Board of Supervisors, there are five other elected officials: the Treasurer, Clerk of Court, Commissioner of the Revenue, Sheriff, and the Commonwealth's Attorney. Each of these serve four-year terms except for the Clerk of Court, who is elected for eight years at a time.
  • Pittsylvania County has three separate courts: Juvenile & Domestic, General District, and Circuit Court. 
  • A wide range of boards and commissions serve in different roles that range from providing recommendations to making decisions. Some of these board members are appointed by the Board of Supervisors while others are appointed by the local courts. Residents interested in serving on one of the boards can apply here
county governance (10)

Services:

  • Pittsylvania County maintains 21 convenience centers and 10 "greenbox" sites where residents can easily dispose of their household garbage. With the geographic layout of the county, the distance from the northernmost to the southernmost site is over 50 miles. Each of the six rolloff trucks that collect the trash and drive it to the landfill log about 1,000 miles every week. paid Pittsylvania County Public Safety EMS staff
  • Pittsylvania County oversees operations of the Pittsylvania Pet Center, a pet shelter that works to get homeless animals adopted or transferred to partner agencies. In 2020, more than 1900 animals came through the shelter doors. 
  • Pittsylvania County Public Safety coordinates emergency management and public safety services for the more than 61,000 citizens that live in Pittsylvania County, Virginia's largest locality. In 2020, Pittsylvania began staffing full-time paramedics and EMTs with an ambulance in Chatham, Mt. Hermon, and Hurt to provide emergency services around the clock.
  • In addition to a few career public safety staff, Pittsylvania County residents and businesses are protected by more than 20 volunteer fire and ems agencies. These agencies are funded through a mix of county contributions and money fundraised and contributed by the community. 
  • Pittsylvania County Public Works provides water and sewer services for several thousand Pittsylvania County households.

Finances:Bond Debt

  • During the 2020 fiscal year, which runs from July 1, 2020 through June 30 2020, Pittsylvania County operated with an approved budget of over $186 million. That number has increased more than $10 million thanks to the addition of federal CARES Act funds. 
  • After taking on significant bond debt for the construction of four middle schools in the 2001 and renovation of four high schools in 2007, Pittsylvania County has reduced the total bond debt by $60 million since 2011.
  • According to data gathered from the 2018 reassessment, the total assessed value of all Pittsylvania County real estate is $5.486 billion. 
  • Pittsylvania County has increased funding for volunteer fire and rescue agencies by 76% since the 2018 fiscal year, bringing the total annual contribution to $3.7 million in FY 2021. 
  • In the current, 2021 fiscal year, approximately 14% of total general fund expenditures are for debt payments, and another 14% is for general governance. 28% of the annual budget is for each of education and public safety. 
  • Pittsylvania County received over $10.5 million in federal funds from the CARES Act, which have been utilized primarily to bolster public safety services. Significant investments were also made in education, technology, and infrastructure.Annual Fire and Rescue ContributionsPittsylvania County CARES Act funds allocations